Iran expands strikes across the Gulf region as its military hits back at American bases in Kuwait and Jordan, a sharp escalation that followed a sixth straight night of US attacks on Iranian bridges, railways and an airport. Even so, the White House insists diplomacy has not been shut out entirely.
At a Glance
- CENTCOM says US forces struck dozens of Iranian military sites overnight on July 16 to 17.
- Iranian state media reported blasts near Qeshm Island, Bandar Khamir, Bushehr, Bandar Abbas and Ahvaz.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards claim strikes on US bases in Jordan and Kuwait.
- Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar reported activating air defenses against Iranian missiles and drones.
- A US national, identified by her attorney as Dena Karari, was allowed to leave Iran, a move Trump called a gesture of goodwill.
Sixth Night of US Strikes Sets Off the Latest Round
US Central Command said its forces began a new wave of attacks at 9:30 p.m. Iran time on July 16, marking six consecutive nights of strikes meant to weaken Iran's military capacity. Hours afterward, CENTCOM declared the mission complete, saying fighter jets, drones and warships had fired precision munitions at coastal surveillance posts, air defense positions, logistics hubs and naval assets scattered across the country.
White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt framed the strikes as a direct response to what she described as an Iranian violation of an existing memorandum of understanding. She said Tehran had agreed not to fire on commercial ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz and then broke that pledge, prompting the escalation from Washington's side.
Reports of Blasts Spread Across Southern Iran
Iranian state media described explosions in a string of locations early on July 17, though none of the claims were independently confirmed and CENTCOM did not detail exactly where its jets had operated. Reports pointed to strikes near Qeshm Island, a longtime flashpoint near the Strait of Hormuz, and at the airport in Iranshahr, a city of roughly 100,000 people about 300 kilometers from the Gulf of Oman.
Fars news agency reported a bridge hit in Bandar Khamir, on the mainland facing Qeshm Island, while other outlets later said five bridges in the south had been struck in total, with seven people reported killed. Those casualty figures have not been verified. Explosions were also reported in Bushehr, home to Iran's only civilian nuclear plant, which state television called further aggression from what it termed the American enemy. Blasts were reported too at a rail junction in Bandar Abbas and near Ahvaz, where residents told wire reporters they heard heavy detonations for a second straight night.
Iran Expands Strikes With Attacks on US Bases
As Iran expands strikes of its own in response, authorities in Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar said their air defenses engaged what appeared to be Iranian missiles and drones early on July 17. Iranian media said the country's forces targeted American aircraft stationed at a base in Bahrain, describing it as retaliation for strikes on urban infrastructure and civilians.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps issued two separate statements on July 16 claiming responsibility for hitting US military installations in Jordan and Kuwait. In the first, the Guards alleged that American forces had used Jordan's Azraq Air Base to launch attacks the previous night, and said they answered with missile fire on the base's fighter aircraft parking area and a newly established US command center in the region. In the second statement, the Guards said they combined missiles and drones to hit a satellite communications center and early warning radar at Ali Al Salem Air Base, along with a US military pier at Shuaybah in Kuwait. CENTCOM has not responded to either claim.
Quick Facts
- CENTCOM's strikes hit coastal surveillance, air defense, logistics and maritime targets.
- Iranshahr's airport, a city of about 100,000, was reportedly among the sites struck.
- Bushehr houses Iran's only civilian nuclear power plant.
- The Revolutionary Guards named Azraq Air Base in Jordan and Ali Al Salem Air Base and Shuaybah pier in Kuwait as their targets.
Fears Grow of a Wider War
The back and forth strikes have unsettled officials across the region and in Western capitals, who worry the two countries are edging toward a much larger conflict rather than a contained exchange. Every fresh round of attacks makes de escalation harder to picture in the near term.
Diplomacy Still on the Table, White House Says
Despite the intensity of the strikes, Leavitt maintained that Washington has not abandoned talks. She said President Trump would hold Iranian leaders accountable when they go back on their word, but that he remains open to diplomacy at the same time. She added that Iranian officials have signaled interest in reaching a deal and that conversations are ongoing, even as the administration insists it will not overlook attacks on shipping in the Strait without consequence.
In a televised address late on July 16, Trump said the United States was winning big in Iran and that the results would show soon, without offering specifics. Some optimism about a possible thaw emerged after Tehran allowed a US national, whom Washington had called wrongfully detained since 2024, to leave the country late on July 15. Trump called it a gesture of goodwill in a social media post. Human rights attorney Jared Genser identified the woman as Dena Karari and said she had been freed from what he called bogus charges.
Iran's judiciary pushed back, saying its own review found no convicted American matching Trump's description, and that no American detainee had been released or exchanged. Karari's attorney offered a different account, saying she had not actually been imprisoned but that authorities had confiscated her passport, blocking her from leaving the country. Tehran has long been accused of what critics call hostage diplomacy, detaining dual nationals and foreign citizens on questionable grounds to gain leverage over other governments. Whether that single gesture translates into any real diplomatic opening, even as strikes continue on both sides, remains the question hanging over the coming days.


